Certified Special Events Professional (CSEP)
The Certified Special Events Professional (CSEP) designation was established in 1993 to recognize event professionals who have successfully demonstrated the knowledge, skills and ability essential to perform all components of a special event. ILEA endorses and manages the voluntary CSEP program for those who meet established standards.
Important Information Regarding the CSEP
A primary mission of the 2019-2022 ILEA Strategic Plan is to collaborate with key stakeholders to promote the importance of industry standards. This includes elevating the CSEP designation as a minimum standard for our segment of the industry and ensuring its relevance for a global audience.
The ILEA Board of Governors, in collaboration with the CSEP Certification Committee, embarked on a year-long journey to review and enhance the CSEP program.
Together with our new testing provider, Yardstick, we will evolve the program. Our partnership enables us to modernize the CSEP test-taking system and simplify grading to offer a faster return of scoring for candidates. The revised exam will feature new questions which better assess current industry standards and the exam will no longer have an essay portion. This move will also allow us to offer the exam worldwide with remote proctoring.
The new testing model will be announced in late 2020.
The enhanced CSEP exam will address:
- Modernized system for test taking, including offering remote proctoring
- Simplified system for grading that offers a faster return of scoring for candidates
- Enhanced data collection for analysis
- Annual exam development that includes writing new questions and reviewing the current performance of the exam
- Increased access to the exam worldwide
This program was developed to:
- Increase the proficiency of event professionals
- Elevate industry standards and practices
- Establish the level of knowledge and performance necessary for certification
- Promote the advancement of the special events industry
- Advance the careers of practitioners
- Acknowledge the high caliber work of CSEPs and the value of the products and services they provide